"I'm also just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her."

Monday, February 28, 2011

Plan

As for now I am thinking about writing my World Lit on a theme, symbol, or motif, this plan will be based around that.

1. Go back through my annotations and look for points in which I noticed a specific theme or symbol. Do a close reading on all of these

2. If there are not many of these around, I will probably have to go and reread the novel

3. Once I see what the symbol symbolizes or find what the theme is, I will research a bit about Camus and see if there is any relevance to his life
a. For example, Kafka’s relationship to his father is portrayed heavily in “The Metamorphosis”

4. Once I find all my examples from the text, I will type them up into a word document and print out the document

5. With a pen and highlighter I will dissect them and establish which literary techniques are used and what they show

6. Write my thesis
a. This will probably take a while, and I will end up having many different wordings of the same thing but it’s all good

7. By now I will have a clear idea about the overall message of the theme or symbol and am now ready to write

8. First write a rough draft in which aesthetics is not the issue

9. It is important that I get out all of my ideas here and work on cutting down later
a. The most important part here is the body paragraphs in which I explain the passages I chose completely
b. I know my introduction will be unsmooth but it is important I spell out obviously what I will argue right her and embellish it later

10. After my first draft I will edit for both grammatical errors and more overall ideas
a. I do this because I find it easier to do, however I might want to do two different edits, one for grammar, the other for content
i. I believe with this though that I will end up having issues in which I just combine the two different edits into one

11. After this edit, I will leave the paper alone for a few days (if possible)

12. Now I will edit with a very censorious eye and make sure that there are no holes in paper and that it is ready to be turned in

13. I will try and give it for someone else to edit now, preferably someone who knows what I am supposed to be doing

14. After this I will quickly reread my paper and make any last minute mistakes and then will print it and hand it in and relax

5 comments:

  1. Also I need to

    1. Read for the experience --> for pleasure
    --> General annotations/highlighting
    --------> Anything that strikes you as important/interesting

    2. Read again for content
    --> Expand on annotations
    ---------> See new things

    3. Read one more time to connect ideas and clarify if needed
    --> This would be a skim
    ---------> And other things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Asim, I also like to add last minute mistakes and "unsmooth" introductions. Good work! You're editing truly is censorious. ~Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you even read this again? Your order does make sense but it’s very hard to appreciate it because of the wording. Here are some examples, “After this I will quickly reread my paper and make any last minute mistakes… I know my introduction will be unsmooth but it is important I spell out obviously what I will argue right her …”
    Your third step is to read about Camus, I found that interesting since your first two steps have to do with the novel and so do steps 4 and 5. Wouldn’t you rather complete your knowledge of the book and then move on to the author? Also, you mentioned that you would re-read the book once more; do you think that reading a novel twice is enough for a World Lit Paper? You wrote your thesis statement and your rough draft before reading any secondary sources. Do you not feel it is necessary to read other interpretations of the book?
    Looking forward to your response.
    Overall, I think your structure is well thought out but a few more steps may be advisable.
    Proof read next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAD

    ehksjfeshe eueuhieuiheh1?@#@!>#!>@

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aka$h,

    I can see what you are saying, but I think there my way works. Once I know fully which theme I am going to chose, I think it makes sense to research the author a bit and see if any of his personal life can sway my quote selections. If there is a certain motif that reoccurs during the book, and it so happened that an important event happened to a certain character in the authors life and that character is recreated in the book, would it not make sense to look for examples that involve the character important to the author? I feel this gives me more to discuss and also will cut down the time it takes for me to go throughout the book. I personally think that two times is enough to understand the book, but this includes the going through the text and searching specifically what I am looking for. Also, that was an error on my behalf, it obviously makes sense to look at secondary sources before I begin writing. However, I do not think it would hurt to write a thesis statement before looking at these sources just in case they sway me too much in one direction that does not work, I have a point in which I can regain myself. Just for kicks. See you!

    ReplyDelete