"I'm also just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love her."

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blog Portfolio #4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Portfolio #4

Coverage:
Baraka!
Chimpanzee Attack Poem
Harlem Dancer First Attempt
If this was my poetry exam I would…
Exactly 500 Words. Great Success!
Power


Depth:
If this was my poetry exam I would…


I chose this piece for my depth blog because I had to do two things. First I had to write a commentary on a poem I did not really understand and then I had to add on to the post about my response to Paglia’s commentary on the same poem. Reading this was integral to understanding how to write a proper commentary because just after writing my poor commentary I read a really good one, and thus, I was able to discern the differences and it made me realize what I didn’t do and how I can do it. Especially important was understanding her structure because at this stage in my commentary progression, I did not really have such a strong structure I was comfortable with. However, it turns out that the structure I prefer was not the same one that Paglia used in her commentary of “Old Pond.”


Interaction:
Baraka!


In this piece I used a section of Akash’s piece of the same topic in my blog to further the idea of the importance of context to a definition of a word. There are many different interpretations to all words and Akash uses the idea of dictionary definitions to further this. I did not realize this, but it makes a lot of sense. He says it clearly “he word money probably has a similar definition in each dictionary, yet based on the fashion in which one uses the word we associate different meanings to it.” His interpretation of the piece was complementary to mine and it helped establish the idea that there are no absolute definitions to words.


Discussion:
Exactly 500 Words. Great Success!


This was the blog post that was the informal commentary to Wanda Coleman’s “Why Aren’t You Dead.” Giving further proof to Baraka’s ideas, poetry has different interpretations and this is evident as classmates of mine had different ideas about the same poetry and shared their ideas on my blog. Although the intent on some of the comments was a criticism of the format etc., interesting points were made that lead to discussion.


Xenoblogging:
Akash’s Post


This is my response to Akash’s attempt of a commentary on “Wanda Why Aren’t You Dead?” I bring up ideas about repetition and ask him why he chose repetition as one of his techniques. I also suggested that he make sure he knows one hundred percent of what he is going to talk about and then write, because this will help his overall writing because he will understand what he is writing and it will show in his work.


Wildcard:
Power


This is just a rant that was long in the coming and I wanted to have it concrete before I forgot it over summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment